You’ve booked your venue, got your photographer and now the next step is to get your engagement pictures done! Weee that’s so exciting!! If you’re my couple, I can’t wait to have you in front of my camera! But now you have to figure out what to wear and that can be overwhelming to say the least. So here are some engagement photo outfit ideas and tips that you can use to help plan yours and your partner’s outfits!
- Plan for two outfits– I usually tell my couples to plan for two outfits, one more casual and one that’s more formal. This gives you variety for your pictures but isn’t too overwhelming to plan.
2. Don’t wear matching outfits, wear coordinating colors– You’re probably reading this and thinking what the heck does that mean, Sara?! Welllll basically this means that we don’t want you and your partner to look like you’re wearing a uniform together. So I recommend wearing coordinating and complimentary outfits. So if you are wearing a blue scarf, your partner could wear a blue shirt! Or you could go for Earth tones that aren’t the same but all look good together. Look below to see some examples of what I mean!
3. Avoid tiny print patterns– If possible try to avoid outfits with small repeating prints (smaller than a dime) as it can cause odd distortions in the final image.
4. Dress for the look you want to create– If you want lighter, airier images, wear more light colored, neutral tones. But if you want images with more contrast and pop, pick out the darker and more vibrant colors in your closet!
5. Make sure to test it out at home– You know how they say you shouldn’t make a new recipe for the first time for guests? Same concept here, you don’t want to wear an outfit to your session for the first time and find that you are constantly adjusting something about it! Put your outfit on and walk around in it for 5-10 minutes at home to make sure you feel comfortable in it!
Pick something that makes you feel amazing– Making sure you feel confident before you ever even meet up with me to take your picture is SO important! You need to make sure you feel stunning in your outfit so that when you arrive all you have to do is listen to my instructions (not worry about how you’re looking).
I hope this was helpful for you! If you want to see more engagement sessions that I’ve photographed for more outfit inspiration, click here!
PS- If you want to reach out and find out more about my wedding packages, click here!