When I got engaged, I almost didn’t get engagement pictures done because honestly, I was scared of it. I was scared it would be awkward and I didn’t know how to prepare for them. In retrospect, I’m so glad I didn’t let those fears hold me back because I LOVE my engagement pictures. So I’m writing this post as a way to help you prepare for your engagement pictures and hopefully absolve some of your fears about the session!
Tips for preparing for your engagement session
1. Trust your photographer: I recognize that you are not professional models, even though you’ll feel like it by the end! So first and foremost, let go of your fears about what you’ll do in front of the camera, because I will take care of that! I will give you all a stage where you can be comfortable to show off your love. And most practically of all, I will tell you exactly what to do! Trust that I will pose you in the best ways so you look as cute as possible. That might mean I ask you to do some weird things (e.g. nuzzle the side of her head like a cat) but they really work! You are not required to have any specific engagement session knowledge, that is on me!
2. Outfits: Plan your outfits for the camera! I always like to tell people to wear complementing outfits. So if you are wearing a blue scarf, your partner can wear a blue shirt. I think this looks a little more coordinated, but less planned, and more like every day life than matching outfits. Pinterest is also a great place to look for inspiration. And I’m always happy to provide advice! And lastly, if your ring needs cleaning, don’t forget to do that! I have a whole other post on outfits for engagement sessions that you should look through if you want more details!
3. Make Up: Pamper yourself! I never wear make up and would never tell anyone to be inauthentic to themselves, but I will say that sometimes a little bit of make up can make things pop in a picture! So if you’re into that, go and get your make up and hair done. It’ll be fun for you and great for the pictures! Though full disclosure here, I YouTube’d how to put on mascara when I got my pictures done and it was fiiiinee.
4. Make it a date: Plan it out as a part of a date night! Getting your pictures done is a fun event for you and your partner and you should treat it as such! Go get dinner afterwards or whatever it is you like to do! You’ll already be all dressed up anyway 😉
5. Have a viewing party: Sit down with your partner and look over a few of my past engagement sessions on the blog. This will help you see what type of images you can expect and helps you get excited for what your pictures will look like!
That’s all for now! Hope that helps you prepare for your engagement pictures!
All my best,
PS- If you want to reach out and find out more about my wedding packages, click here!